Joint Replacement, also known as joint arthroplasty, is an elective surgical procedure where dysfunctional, damaged or arthritic joints are replaced/resurfaced with an artificial joint typically made of metal, plastic or ceramic. Conditions such as arthritis, joint abnormalities and fractures can lead to joint pain and dysfunction. If other, more conservative, treatments such as physical therapy, medications and injections have not helped, joint replacement surgery may be an option.
Your decision to have elective joint replacement is the first step to restoring a higher quality of living with a new prosthetic joint. Our board-certified surgeon will lead a team of experienced healthcare professionals who follow a meticulous standard of care to achieve the best outcome possible.
Surgeries we offer:
- Total knee replacement
- Total hip replacement
- Total shoulder replacement
- Reverse total shoulder replacement
Who is a Candidate for Total Joint Replacement at SEARHC?
For the safety of our patients, SEARHC follows strict selection criteria:
- HgA1C < 7
- HGB > 13 for males, > 12 for females
- Albumin > 3.4
- No steroid injection in affected joint for 6 months
- Narcotic use under 40 mme/day
- Good skin integrity at surgical site (free of lesions, abrasions, scabs etc.)
- Obtain standard medical and dental clearance prior to surgery
- Body Mass Index (BMI) BMI less than 35
- Nicotine free
Contact your primary care provider or contact Mt. Edgecumbe Medical Center for more information.