Purchased & Referred Care (PRC) funding is for all eligible patients referred to medical services not directly available at SEARHC.
- Authorization is required before non-emergency treatment can be started.
- A SEARHC physician must initiate all referrals for medical care.
- A referral does not mean payment will be authorized. Outside care must be approved by PRC.
- For SEARHC to cover the cost of outside emergency medical care, PRC must be notified within 72 hours of the start of emergency services (65 years and older have 30 days to notify).
- IHS facilities must be used instead of private facilities, if available. Click this link for locations of tribal clinics or hospitals by location.
Eligibility for Services
To qualify for PRC services, the patient must meet PRC eligibility requirements that include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Documented status as Alaska Native/American Indian.
- Alaska resident for the prior 180 days with intent to remain in Alaska.
- Non-Indian women who are pregnant with an eligible, Alaska Native/American Indian child or the mother of an Alaska Native/American Indian child up to six weeks postpartum.
- Children of an eligible, Alaska Native/ American Indian, including non-Indian foster children, adopted children, stepchildren, legal wards or orphans until the age of 19.
Treatment Not Covered by Purchased & Referred Care
- Medical services provided by a non-tribal facility or provider not authorized by SEARHC PRC.
- Medical services provided by a non-SEARHC healthcare provider not referred by a SEARHC physician and authorized by SEARHC PRC.
- Obstetric deliveries at non-tribal hospitals, unless due to a life-threatening emergency.
- Inpatient or outpatient mental health services.
- Inpatient or outpatient substance abuse treatment programs.
- Medical care considered investigational or experimental.
- Nursing home or long-term care facilities.
- Routine dental services.
- PRC will not authorize payment to a non-tribal facility if a tribal health facility was open and available to provide the needed care.
This is not an all-inclusive list. Please contact PRC at email@example.com about coverage if you have any questions.
Student Coverage Outside Alaska
Before you go to school
Students must take care of routine medical and dental needs before leaving Alaska. Routine care includes school physicals, immunizations, vision examinations, birth control, dental care, etc.
For more information or to enroll, please contact PRC at the Alaska Native Medical Center.
Purchased & Referred Care Program
Toll-free Phone: 866.966.8316 | Fax: 907.966.8340
Mailing Address: 222 Tongass Drive, Sitka, Alaska 99835
Purchased & Referred Care Alaska Native Medical Center
4315 Diplomacy Drive Anchorage, AK 99508
Phone: 907.729.2470 | Toll-free: 800.478.1636 | Fax: 907.729.2483
Area Dental Office Alaska Area Native Health Service
4141 Ambassador Drive Anchorage, AK 99508 | Phone: 907.729.3641 | Toll-free: 800.478.1636 (CHS office)