July 2, 2018 through July 31, 2018– join SEARHC in engaging with local foods during the bountiful summer season. SEARHC Health Promotion in Haines, Hoonah, Juneau, Kake, Klawock, Klukwan and Sitka are hosting events.
Visit searhc.org/action for information, to register, download and print a registration form along with an activity log.
Eating local, nutrient-dense foods available in Southeast Alaska is one of the most important things you can do for your health. It has nutritional benefits as well as physical, mental, and cultural significance. Benefits may include:
- Local foods can be fresher.
- Local foods reduce your carbon footprint.
- Locally grown food is full of flavor.
- Local foods available in Southeast Alaska are full of nutrients.
- Harvesting and sharing foods can help create community.
- Getting outside and engaging with your environment can help improve your mental health & mood.
- Gathering local / traditional foods
- Processing local / traditional foods
- Eating local / traditional foods
- Sharing local / traditional foods with elders, family, and friends
- Gardening activities
If you have questions after visiting searhc.org/action, please contact the Health Educator in your community.
- Haines: Kate Fossman, 907 766-6303, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hoonah: Kenya Skaflestad, 907 945-2761, email@example.com
- Juneau: Hannah Schlosstein, 907 364-4404, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kake: Health Educator, 907 364-4404, email@example.com
- Klawock: June May, 907 755-4959, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Klukwan: Joanne Spud, 907 766-6319, email@example.com
- Sitka: Heleena vanVeen, 907 966-8914, firstname.lastname@example.org