Patient Housing & Travel
Like many healthcare systems, SEARHC relies on referrals to outside providers for specialized and emergency medical treatment. The SEARHC Travel Office and SEARHC Purchased and Referred Care (PRC) help facilitate the process.
Patient Travel Office
SEARHC is here to make sure all of your emergency travel and medical needs are met. We have a travel coordinator on-call 24/7 for all of our patients who need emergency travel assistance and meet the eligibility requirements.
Purchased & Referred Care (PRC)
PRC funding is for referred medical services not directly available at SEARHC and is available to all eligible patients.
- Authorization is required before non-emergency treatment is started
- A SEARHC physician must initiate all referrals for medical care
- A referral does not mean payment will be authorized
- Outside care must be approved by PRC
- For SEARHC to cover the cost of outside emergency medical care, PRC must be notified within 72 hours of the start of emergency services (65 years and older have 30 days to notify)
- IHS facilities must be used instead of private facilities, when available
Eligibility for Services
To qualify for PRC services, the patient must meet PRC eligibility requirements that include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Documented status as Alaska Native/American Indian
- Alaska resident for the prior 180 days with intent to remain in Alaska
- Non-Indian women who are pregnant with an eligible Alaska Native/American Indian child or the mother of an Alaska Native/American Indian child up to six weeks postpartum
- Children of an eligible Alaska Native/ American Indian, including non-Indian foster children, adopted children, stepchildren, legal wards or orphans until the age of 19
Treatment Not Covered by Purchased & Referred Care
- Medical services provided by a non-tribal facility or provider that has not been authorized by PRC
- Medical services provided by a non-SEARHC health care provider not referred by a SEARHC physician and authorized by SEARHC PRC
- Obstetric deliveries at non-tribal hospitals, unless due to a life-threatening emergency
- Inpatient or outpatient mental health services
- Inpatient or outpatient substance abuse treatment programs
- Medical care considered investigational or experimental
- Nursing home or long-term care facilities
- Routine dental services
- PRC will not authorize payment to a non-tribal facility if a tribal health facility was open and available to provide the needed care
This is not an all-inclusive list. Please contact PRC about coverage with any additional questions.
SEARHC Patient Housing Facility
Many SEARHC patients from outside of Sitka visit Mt. Edgecumbe Hospital to receive advanced health care services that require little to no hospitalization. Our 7,820-square-foot short-term housing facility offers a safe, comfortable place to stay for as many as thirty-two patients or family members. Our facility offers eighteen rooms, including fourteen double-occupancy rooms and four single rooms. In addition, two of our double-occupancy rooms are fully compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act. The facility serves Alaska Native and non-Native patients receiving health care services in Sitka, including care received at non-SEARHC facilities. We accept Medicaid payments for lodging, meals, and transportation. A van service to and from the airport and ferry terminal are also available. Meals are provided at the SEARHC Island Skillet Cafe, located on the ground floor of the main hospital building. For more information, please call 907.966.8991.
Student Coverage Outside Alaska
Students must take care of routine medical and dental needs before leaving Alaska. Routine care includes school physicals, immunizations, vision examinations, birth control, dental care, etc.
For more information or to enroll, please contact PRC at the Alaska Native Medical Center, anmc.org/patients-visitors/prc/
To download FAQs click: PRC-FAQ
Purchased & Referred Care Alaska Native Medical Center
4315 Diplomacy Drive Anchorage, AK 99508
Phone: 907.729.2470 | Toll-free: 1.800.478.1636 | Fax: 907. 729.2483
Area Dental Office Alaska Area Native Health Service
4141 Ambassador Drive Anchorage, AK 99508
Phone: 907.729.3641 | Toll-free: 1.800.478.1636 (CHS office)
SEARHC Patient Travel
In Sitka: 907.966.8345, after hours call 907.966.2411
We ask that patients please call as soon as they know of the need to change their travel arrangements.
Purchased & Referred Care Program
222 Tongass Drive, Sitka, Alaska 99835
Toll-free Phone: 866.966.8316 | Fax: 907.966.8340