Additional patient resources may be found under Patient Resources
SEARHC Eye Clinics provide a full range of eye care services to patients of all ages including eye exams and prescriptions for eyeglasses and contact lenses. Our clinics have expansive optical displays with hundreds of frames and optometry assistants to help with eyeglass frame fitting.
Eye clinic providers treat many eye problems including infections, minor trauma, inflammations, glaucoma and diabetic eye disease. They are part of the SEARHC diabetes care and prevention team.
SEARHC Eye Clinic providers take field trips to remote communities around the region to see patients. Patients can check the online Specialty Clinic Schedules to find Optometry visits to their area.
When you become our patient, you become eligible for SEARHC pharmacy services prescribed by our providers. SEARHC Pharmacists are integrated into your patient centered care team to ensure safe and effective medication use. Some of the services we provide include:
- Private consultation
- Medication Therapy Management
- Medication Adherence Counseling
- Anticoagulation Management
- Emergency Contraception
- Drug Information and Consultation
- Convenient Prescription Pick-up Hours
- At select locations we also provide:
- Antibiotic Consultation, Dosing and Monitoring
- “Meds to Bed” Hospital Discharge Counseling
- Mail Delivery
- Telepharmacy Services
For your convenience, we have provided the link below to our online formulary :
Link to SEARHC online formulary
You can look up the medications we provide through our pharmacies as well as access information about each drug.
Medical Referrals In/Out of the SEARHC System
About the Patient Travel Office and Purchased & Referred Care (PRC)
Like many healthcare systems, SEARHC relies on referrals to outside providers for specialized and emergency medical treatment. The SEARHC Travel Office and SEARHC Purchased & Referred Care help facilitate the process.
Patient Travel Office
Our patient travel office is here to meet your travel needs.
Purchased & Referred Care (PRC)
PRC funding is for referred medical services not directly available at SEARHC and is available to all eligible patients.
- Authorization is required before non-emergency treatment is started
- A SEARHC physician must initiate all referrals for medical care
- A referral does not mean payment will be authorized. Outside care must be approved by PRC.
- For SEARHC to cover the cost of outside emergency medical care, PRC must be notified within 72 hours of the start of emergency services (65 years and older have 30 days to notify).
- IHS facilities must be used instead of private facilities, if available.
Eligibility For Services
To qualify for PRC services, the patient must meet PRC eligibility requirements that include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Documented status as Alaska Native/American Indian
- Alaska resident for the prior 180 days with intent to remain in Alaska
- Non-Indian women who are pregnant with an eligible Alaska Native/American Indian child or the mother of an Alaska Native/American Indian child up to six weeks postpartum
- Children of an eligible Alaska Native/ American Indian, including non-Indian foster children, adopted children, stepchildren, legal wards or orphans until the age of 19
Treatment Not Covered By Purchased & Referred Care
- Medical services provided by a non-tribal facility or provider that has not been authorized by PRC
- Medical services provided by a non-SEARHC health care provider not referred by a SEARHC physician and authorized by SEARHC PRC
- Obstetric deliveries at non-tribal hospitals, unless due to a life-threatening emergency
- Inpatient or outpatient mental health services
- Inpatient or outpatient substance abuse treatment programs
- Medical care considered investigational or experimental
- Nursing home or long-term care facilities
- Routine dental services
- PRC will not authorize payment to a non-tribal facility if a tribal health facility was open and available to provide the needed care
This is not an all-inclusive list. Please contact PRC about coverage, if you have any questions
Student Coverage Outside Alaska
Before You Go To School
Students must take care of routine medical and dental needs before leaving Alaska. Routine care includes school physicals, immunizations, vision examinations, birth control, dental care, etc.
For more information or to enroll, please contact PRC at the Alaska Native Medical Center, www.anthc.org/ps/contracthealthsvc.
Contract Health Care Services Alaska Native Medical Center
4315 Diplomacy Drive Anchorage, AK 99508
Phone: (907)729-2470 | Toll-free: (800)478-1636 | Fax: (907)729-2483
Area Dental Office Alaska Area Native Health Service
4141 Ambassador Drive Anchorage, AK 99508 | Phone: (907)729-3641 | Toll-free: (800)478-1636 (CHS office)
SEARHC Patient Travel
We have a 24 hour, seven day-a-week travel coordinator on-call for all of our patients who are traveling.
- Toll-free: (800)916-8566
- In Sitka: (907)966-8345
We ask that patients, please call as soon as they know of the need to change their travel arrangements.
Purchased & Referred Care Program
Toll-free Phone: (866)966-8316 | Fax: (907)966-8340
Mailing Address: 222 Tongass Drive, Sitka, Alaska 99835
Many SEARHC patients from outside of Sitka visit Mt. Edgecumbe Hospital to receive advanced health care services that require little or no hospitalization. Our 7,820-square-foot short-term housing facility offers a safe, comfortable place to stay for as many as 32 patients or family members. Our facility offers 18 rooms, including 14 double-occupancy rooms and four singles. In addition, two of our double-occupancy rooms are fully compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act. The facility serves Alaska Native and non-Native patients receiving health care services in Sitka, including care received at non-SEARHC facilities. We accept Medicaid payments for lodging, meals, and transportation, and we offer van service to and from the airport and ferry terminal. Meals are provided at the SEARHC Island Skillet Cafe, located on the ground floor of the main hospital building. For more information, call 966-8991.
Since 2013, Guardian Flight has provided medical evacuation services for SEARHC.
In the quest to find the most appropriate ways to use resources and to provide patients with the best possible care, we consolidated Medevac services to a single provider.
We spent a great deal of time during the decision-making process to ensure that you and your family members that count on us in an emergency would receive the same standard of excellence we expect from our staff. We are proud to offer this service by teaming with Guardian Flight.